Pages

Monday 30 January 2012

Over the border - down Hampshire way

A leisurely start today - I waited for the morning rush hour to subside and made my way in to deepest darkest Hampshire looking for three year ticks. First stop was Warblington Church where a Cattle Egret had been reported. Sure enough after about ten minutes I flushed three egrets from the small stream at the end of the cemetery. They circled and landed in the cattle field behind me and one of them was a Cattle Egret, the others Little Egrets. There were two Grey Wagtails present but after being disturbed they failed to return. Made a note to return at another date as I haven't many decent photos of them.

On the way back to the car a Green Woodpecker, that was engrossed in ripping up the turf in the cemetery, posed well. I was well hidden and though he could hear my camera shutter operating he couldn't see me behind the thick undergrowth.

Onward to Hayling Island where on the oyster beds a Shorelark was visiting. Not a difficult spot this one as there were already five birders in attendance. Great to see the bird but it was inactive for most of the time and remained at quite a distance, so only a record shot.

Having parked in the wrong place I was exhausted after a long walk so abandoned the third bird - Waldo  the Ring-billed Gull in Walpole Park Gosport - as he has visited regularly for 7 years I might get him next year. I finished up at Apuldram Church, a large flock of Yellowhammers had been reported, they were there but unfortunately I was unable to get close.  So early bath and possibly out again tomorrow - weather permitting.



Cattle Egret

Green Woodpecker


Green Woodpecker

Oystercatcher


Oystercatcher


Record shot of the Shorelark - he was a long way off!

No comments:

Post a Comment