Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2012

West Dean way.

Just for a change a trip inland in an attempt to add a few ticks to the 2012 list. First stop was the grass verge opposite the Little Owl residence near to Stapleash farm. Try as I might I could not locate the little fellow although he was calling loudly. With time in hand I decided to press on along the road and then up the bridle way that leads into the wood. Things started quietly but soon warmed up with two Buzzards calling above the trees. Marsh Tits, Goldcrests, Long-tailed Tits, Great Tits and Blue Tits were in abundance. Added to this were Treecrepers and a lone Nuthatch. I heard a Hawfinch but unfortunately no view. The clear blue skies and warm sunshine were tempting and I almost stayed. However, I thought the fine weather was ideal for a trip to Waltham Brooks as the light would hold well into Short-eared Owl hunting time.


Little Owl
On the walk back to the car one last look for the Little Owl - there he was- showing well enough for a record shot, still calling loudly and I am convinced he has a partner which also called but no sighting.

I arrived at Waltham brooks about 14:00, plenty of birders about, and took a leisurely stroll down the footpath towards the footbridge where I met Dorian Mason. He was so well protected from the weather that at first I didn't recognise him. Onward to the sewage works to try to find a "greyish" Chiffchaff that Dorian had seen previously. No luck and not a lot showing at the works.

By the time I had returned to the footbridge the owls were hunting in the rapidly fading sunlight, just enough to get some shots but not the required quality. Same old story not enough light and the birds just too far away - ah well next time then.





Short-eared Owls

No comments:

Post a Comment