Pages

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Yellowhammer

No Man's Land is in a quiet little dip in the downs on the Monarch's Way between Steyning Round Hill and Cissbury Ring. It is a fair hike from the access at both points, consequently on a weekday it is a nice place to sit and observe the avian fauna. I parked on the Bostal road and as I got out of the car I was treated to the view of my first Swallow this year. This guy was definitely on a mission, flying due North east with no deviation, in a clear blue sky. To the east, the Adur valley and well into East Sussex, the landscape was cloaked in a silver mist.

In the early morning sun the Skylarks and Corn Buntings were all singing like mad and Yellowhammers were everywhere. On the path up to Langmead's Tomb I flushed a hen Pheasant which I suspect has nested in the shallow hedge, not the best of places as there is usually a constant stream of dog walkers. I paused at the top, searching for the male Black Redstart reported previously - no sign. So onward to No Man's Land, the walk there is easier than the walk back that is almost all uphill.  It has always surpised me how well found this part of the Monarch's Way is, almost like a metalled road and as I descended into NML it dawned on me that this is where West Sussex County Council dispose of their road planings. A fact confirmed to this dim idiot by a large Cat's Eye plate right in the middle of the path! Doh!

I sat for two hours at NML, disturbed just once by a rider on what was a very fine looking horse, galloping along the grass strip along the side of the fields. A constant movement of Yellowhammers, Corn Buntings, Chaffinches, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks and Blackbirds kept me on my toes. Not many photo opportunities apart from the obliging Yellowhammers perched on the tops of the hawthorn bushes. A passing male Sparrowhawk sent the tits into loud alarm calling, he didn't hang around and went looking for a meal elsewhere. Over the valley the Jays were doing their level best to disturb the Blackbirds with their insane screeching. 



The return journey offered no surprises, no Wheatears or other spring migrants. However, if the present weather continues there will be precious little in the way of food in bone dry grass fields.



Yellowhammer


Yellowhammer


Yellowhammer

No Man's Land - The Oxford English Dictionary contains a reference to the term dating back to 1320, and spelt nonesmanneslond, when the term was used to describe a disputed territory or one over which there was legal disagreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment