Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

Old Lodge (again!!)

I had it in my mind that the Redstarts that I had photographed a couple of months ago lacked a decent shot of a female so I made an early visit to Old Lodge. It was a perfect morning, blue sky, sunny and only a light breeze.  I hadn't rigged the camera as I intended to go straight to the location where I know the Redstarts nest.  About 100 yards in from the gate I was aware of some movement in the gorse - two Fallow Deer and they hadn't heard, seen or smelled me (not that I am aware that I smell strongly). I stood still for a moment and slowly rigged the tripod and camera, being up sun and wind was ideal and they grazed contentedly for some time. I eventually gave the game away because I wanted to find the Redstarts, even so, they slowly walked off, looking at me occasionally just to make sure I was leaving. 


Fallow deer

Fallow deer

Fallow deer


The Redstarts performed admirably. I found the male first and he finally came into about 25 ft to pose, the female wasn't so obliging and I left them in search of more subjects. Unfortunately I couldn't find another pair so I contented myself observing the antics of the Spotted Flycatchers.




Common Redstart (f)

Common Redstart (m)


Spotted Flycatcher


Common Redstart (f)

Common Redstart (f)

Common Redstart (f) and (juv)

Common Redstart (juv)



Common Redstart (m)

Common Redstart (m)

Common Redstart (juv)

When I returned to the Redstarts the female was in company with two juveniles, both of which were feeding themselves. A real bonus then appeared, a pair of Bullfinches fairly close, unfortunately the female was always obscured but the male posed nicely.




Bullfinch (m)

Bullfinch (f)

And of course the usual suspects


Usual suspect No.1 - Stonechat

Usual suspect No.2 - Bunny

Usual suspect No.3 - Woodlark - not bad camouflage!




















4 comments:

  1. Looks as if you had a good day. Superb pics of the Redstarts and the male Bullfinch. Stonechat was a bit naff...suggest you have another go at that one!

    Regards

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely redstart and FALLOW deer photos (may need to re-lable those though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      Many thanks for the correction - must take more care

      Dave

      Delete
  3. Some cracking shots Dave the deer and redstart are particularly good.

    ReplyDelete