Pages

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Ring-billed Gull

I started the New Year with a pre-dawn departure for Walpole Park in Gosport. There was virtually no traffic, even on the M27 cars were few and far between. I parked up expecting only a short stay as "Waldo" is the most  dependable and obliging bird. Well, two hours later, having searched the park and the whole of Haslar Creek, I gave up and left for some sea watching at Stoke's Bay. Not a lot to be seen save for some Rooks doing aerobatics in a strong onshore breeze.







A local birder didn't believe that I had dipped on Waldo and insisted that I return for another go. So in pleasant sunshine I returned to the park and - yes you've guessed it - there was "Waldo" only 20 feet from the car, posing perfectly.

 Waldo, a Ring-billed Gull has overwintered at this location for at least the last 7 years and in tick reliability terms, ranks on a par with the Little Owl at Stapleash Farm







Common Gull for comparison

Having expended sufficient gigabytes of memory I departed, not really knowing where I was actually going next. I managed to find my way over Portsdown Hill to Boarhunt and took a leisurely drive down through Southwick (Suthick) to Cosham where I made my mind up and went to Farlington Marshes. Car parking space was at a premium but I managed to squeeze in. As soon as I got out the car a kind birder informed me that the Red-breasted Goose had relocated to Tangier Road but there were six Black-necked Grebes in the channel. I slung my camera on my back and set out for the Point. Success! I located one of the grebes, a long way off, but not much else. So, having completed a circumnavigation of the marshes, I returned home - knackered.


Happy New Year everyone

4 comments:

  1. At least you did not say "in it's usual tree at Staleash Farm"

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why has it taken so long!

    'appy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trevor
      HNY 2U2

      Well I suppose it's just one of those things that I never got round to, thinking "It will be there next week". There is a similar bird that visited Bergen for seven years from 1983, when it didn't turn up everyone was upset, even more so when they discovered it had been shot by a bird collector and that its skin was now residing in Reykjavik Museum. However, I think they record up to 13 each year now.

      Regards

      Dave

      Delete
  3. I remember when we used to live in Cheshire in the 80's, there was an Iceland Gull that over-wintered at New Brighton for about twenty years - creatures of habit, Gulls...

    ReplyDelete