Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Goring and Ferring

I hope my seven readers will forgive me, as today is not really about birding. After some twenty four hours of snow the sky brightened and as I was feeling much better I decided to take my camera for a walk. One of my favourite perambulations is via Ilex Way to Ferring beach, taking in Groyne No.4 of course and along to the Bluebird cafe. Here, I normally turn up the western side of Ferring Rife, today I had to take the eastern path as the footbridge where I normally cross over is closed for repairs. I then continue through Ferring Churchyard to the cricket ground and back along Ilex Way to home.

 
So first up was Ilex Way, a canopy of huge evergeen Holm oak over a carpet of snow. Holm oak, Quercus ilex, or Holly Oak is a native to the Mediterranean region and thrives in Sussex, I have no idea who planted these trees but I would like to thank him or her, they are host to lots of wildlife.





The information board only considers summer!
 
On via the turn for Goring Hall and The Plantation to the gull roost at Ferring. At first I thought the fields to be devoid of gulls then I realised the white lumps of snow in the north west corner were birds hunkered down to avoid the vicious easterly wind. A majority of the flock were  Common Gulls with a sprinkling of Black-headed Gulls. I did manage to spot a Mediterranean Gull, albeit after I had downloaded the photos at home.
 

 
From a distance - just like snow


Mainly Common Gulls

3 species of gull present

A single Med Gull
Groyne No.4 was almost devoid of birds, just solitary Turnstone and Ringed Plover with a few Black-headed Gulls loafing offshore.



 
By the Bluebird cafe the beach huts looked incongruous with snow in front of them and icicles hanging from the roof. Even the shingle strand looked different with a covering of drifted snow.



On to a snow covered footpath on the eastern side.


Along the rife just a few Meadow Pipits were struggling to find something edible.

 
These snow covered tussocks gave me the impression of some alien form of hedgehog!!


 Back into Ilex Way accompanied by dogs and walkers enjoying the sunshine


 
That's not a stick  - it's a log!!



Finally, home for a hot mug of tea!



















 
 

2 comments:

  1. Some great winter scenes there Dave, strange to see snow on the beach !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike

      just like being a big kid again - really nice to walk through deep snow - and today it has almost gone.
      Not like the old days when snowmen lasted for days!!

      Dave

      Delete