Pages

Saturday 9 March 2013

Glossy Ibis

Having been "grounded" for most of the week I awoke this morning feeling half well, so a quick trip to Farlington to get the Red-breasted Goose and a possible Spoonbill. Despite completing a circuit of the marsh, albeit fairly slowly, I ended up with two 'no shows'

There were plenty of birds about but nothing to get the heart pumping. However, if you carry a camera you feel duty bound to capture something. So, in appalling light, I snapped a pair of obliging Pintails. There were a few Black-tailed Godwits present, some carrying colour rings, so I recorded those too. The Brents and the accompanying RBG are usually on the point field, in innumerable quantities, not today, not a single goose to be seen.

 
 



L+RL


L+YW


Y+OW

R+GR
Feeling somewhat disappointed I left for the top of Portsdown Hill to check on the Ravens that have built a nest on an electricity pylon. Now, I wouldn't normally show a nesting bird on the blog but if you want to get close to this nest then you need your head examined. Both birds were absent when I arrived but the female appeared and was soon sitting, whilst the male disapppeared over the hill. In a bush nearby a host of Magpies, which I guess, make life difficult for the parents to be.





High risk approach to the nest




On the way home I called into Warblington Church to record the juvenile Glossy Ibis that has been present for a couple of weeks.  Sod's Law prevailed, when the sun was out the bird was distant and vice versa. Never mind, great to get out for a few hours.






Great colours when the sun shines

No comments:

Post a Comment