Pages

Monday 25 March 2013

Long-tailed Tits

I remain firmly garden bound at the moment. However, topping up the feeders this morning gave me the opportunity to record the remarkable agility of a pair of Long-tailed Tits. I regard these birds as the highest evolution of cotton wool balls on a stick and extremely entertaining. We have a fairly tame Robin who will sit in one of the shrubs, staring through the patio doors and demanding to be fed individually. I usually comply and after showing him a small handful of suet nibbles throw them on the ground. The Long-tailed Tits have obviously learned from this and as soon as the Robin departs, come down to pick up the remaining treats. I have noticed that they grab a nibble, fly to the nearest bush and transfer the tasty morsel to a claw and then hang one-legged by the other, to consume the delicacy.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment