Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Blackcaps

The garden bird population has changed considerably over the last few days, the slowly rising temperatures have stimulated pairing and nest building activity. The Coal Tits have disappeared and the Blue Tit and Goldfinch counts decreased considerably. Both Starlings and Blackbirds are collecting nest material. However the most noticeable change is that our Blackcaps have increased to four, possibly five. Three fairly aggressive males and a single female in sight at one time confirm my count but there is, I am sure, a much more secretive female. The males are calling and chasing each other and strive for domination of the suet feeders, no singing or pairing activities, just the drive to get as fat as possible before migration.







 

 
The Starlings are happy to use weeds that I removed from the borders and left on the lawn to dry out, the Blackbirds prefer the drier material.



Getting close is not a problem when they have other things on their mind.

 
 

 


Singing his head off


1 comment:

  1. Great shots! Especially the L-T-T. I hope he does make more I need to get a hide myself, how much are they?

    ReplyDelete