Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

Brambling and Barn Owl

Yesterday was full of pleasant surprises; wandering round the garden mid morning I noticed an instantly recognisable sound, a Raven "cronking" his way from the Gap towards Highdown Hill. Followed immediately by some very high flying Mediterranean Gulls. Next up was a visit from a Brambling, snacking on the black sunflower seeds. Grabbing the camera I managed a few shots before it retreated to the safety of the cherry tree.










Another surprise - the Blackcap population is still rising, six today, 5 males and 1 female.

A rarity - a bird in sunshine!

And finally a Willow Warbler visited the pond but didn't stay long, last year a pair nested in my next door neighbour's garden and were regular visitors.

Buoyed up by an encouraging morning and with the weather set fair, I decided to go to Waltham Brooks. A pair of Garganey had been reported the previous day and I was hoping for a tick, also hirundines had been spotted too. I made my way via the sewage works, which were very quiet visually but there were many Chiffchaffs calling in the hedgerow. Crossing the railway I was greeted by large and vociferous flock of Meadow Pipits, but sadly, little else.

On the lake were all the usual suspects, Shoveler, Tufted, Mallard, Gadwall, Teal  and Shelduck but no Garganey.  On the way back to the car park I spotted a very pale Barn Owl, it spent almost four hours continuously searching across the Brooks, making many pounces but not once did I see a catch. Finally it gave up and perched deep in the cover of an evergreen tree on the far bank of the river. I suspect that the extensive flooding has reduced the rodent population drastically and times are very hard.  

As always with owls, no really satisfying shots






Finally, year ticks in the form of Sand Martins and Swallows feeding as a mixed flock, really nice to see them as it has been a long winter.

I see from Trevor's Blog that Garganey were seen on Breech Pool, my alternative venue. However, if I had gone there I would not have met Dick  who introduced me to his wife Sue, really nice to meet you both.


4 comments:

  1. Good to see Brambling in your garden too Dave . We have had a maximum of 4 , 3 females and one male . The Blackcap was not seen today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike - only the second Brambling in 25 years!

    The blackcap population changed from 5M +1F to 3M+4F and this morning just 1M - the garden seems empty.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave

    What a garden you've got...why go anywhere else! (for Warblers or Finches,at least...and Firecrests! )

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trevor

      It isn't that big but I think with all the surrounding gardens it becomes a link from Goring Gap and Ilex Way to the countryside to the north. Consequently migrants find it a safe place to hide up and possibly feed after/before crossing the channel. Since we moved here we have had 68 species either in or over the garden some of which have stayed literally moments, like the Grey Wagtail that landed by the pond and departed immediately. Wilchiffs tend to hang around but Whitethroats etc move on in the early morning. Very quiet at the moment, just one Blackcap. Perhaps a Black Redstart would be nice or a Hoopoe out on the green, I will keep dreaming.

      Dave

      Delete