Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

Last of the Butterflies.

I made what will probably be my last butterfly outing of the season early this morning. I gave Mill Hill and Anchor Bottom one last look. Whilst I didn't find any new species it was still satisfying that I managed a few improved photographs. Most of my captures are what I call diary or record shots made whilst out on a walk, today I took some extra care. Initially butterflies were a fill in, something to be captured instead of birds which of course throughout July and August have been well hidden. However, I am now a convert to butterflies and I am already planning trips for next year, some further afield than Sussex. Also, I have joined Butterfly Conservation. Well if you are a beginner you need all the help you can get!! Which brings me to thank those people who have provided IDs where I have been guessing - perhaps I really will get to see a Chequered Skipper next year.

 


 





This Wall had established "territorial rights" to a nice sun-baked cowpat and in defending its ground to all and sundry, became rather predictable and therefore easy to photograph.



And another one....







And ...... as always..... something different. This time Deadly Nightshade, Atropa belladonna, growing well on the chalky slopes of Mill Hill.
 


Bittersweet, Solanum dulcamara, often miscalled Deadly Nightshade but still very poisonous.




Viper's Bugloss, Echium vulgare - rather dwarf - not like the forests of Dungeness

No comments:

Post a Comment