Pages

Saturday 31 May 2014

Back in Sussex

Just a gentle stroll on the Sussex Downs, Liz had remarked that there are no mountains in Sussex, but Heyshott Escarpment is a bit like mountain goat country but doesn't come close to the Cairngorms. The weather remained overcast so I reasoned that today would be a good day to capture some species that don't move round much. There had been a posting that Fly Orchids and White Helleborines were blooming on Heyshott, unfortunately the posting was nearly two weeks old and I wasn't sure what I might find.

I parked in the South Downs Way car park and followed the SDW to the top of Heyshott in the company of two walkers who were heading for Amberley, parting company at the OS trig point. The path down into the escarpment is pretty steep but as I crawled down I noticed  Common Spotted Orchids and Common Twayblade, both living up to their names as they really are plentiful here.





Finally I found both the White Helleborine and a single specimen of Fly Orchid, obviously past their sell by dates - but duly recorded.





By now the temperature was on the up and several butterflies were on the move, Small Heath being the most obvious, several Common Blues, Dingy and Grizzled Skipper, and a pair of newly emerged Speckled Woods, one of which posed for me. Green Hairstreaks are still about, quite a long season for them as I photographed my first of the year on April 13th.






Lots of Six Spot Burnet moths emerging and taking to the air, with a rather odd looking mode of flight, accompanied by a host of unusual beetles which I have not noted before. Post walk analysis reveals that they are Garden Chafers. very common, I wonder why I haven't recorded them previously.


Very friendly Garden Chafers

Finally I noted that Neil's snake is still in the same place.


No comments:

Post a Comment