Pages

Thursday 18 September 2014

Dulnain Dipper

I started the day before first light, a heavy mist hung over everything, not a good omen. However, being an optimist I made my way to Tulloch Moor just in case there were any Black Grouse about. The short answer is yes but I couldn't even see the lek with visibility down to less than fifty yards. I heard two birds but saw nothing. Another downside was the midges were about in numbers and yet again tormented me until a gentle breeze got up. I thought the breeze would clear the mist, not a bit of it, it got thicker and I have to admit I became totally disoriented. I had parked the car on the road and I was less than 200 yards away and I couldn't find it. Luckily I had reccied the venue previously and a familiar dead tree provided a clue. Embarrassed I found the car and the fear of the news headline "Senile Birder found wandering on moor" receded.

I had packed the makings for breakfast in the car so made my way over to Loch Insh to sit on the beach below Kincraig Church and dine in superb surroundings. I was hoping that the friendly Red Squirrel, discovered by Dawn and Jim, would pay me a visit. Unfortunately she wasn't in residence but another one gave me a cursory glance and refused my offerings of peanuts. As I left I flushed a Green Woodpecker from the graveyard, not a common bird in Scotland so I was happy with the tick.

Driving through Inshriach Forest I managed another life tick, a Pine Marten crossed in front of me and dived into the stone wall at the side of the road. A glimpse that lasted all of three seconds, perhaps the gloom generated by the mist encouraged him to continue his nocturnal activities into the day. On this road there is a place that you simply cannot pass, Inshriach Nursery and the Potting Shed. They have the best bird feeders in the area but not only that, the cakes and coffee are second to none. Even though breakfast had been just an hour previous, I found enough room for a small slice of chocolate and raspberry cake with a dash of cream - washed down with a cafetiere of superb coffee. Just pay a visit and you will see what I mean.

Visits to Tromie Bridge and  Feshiebridge failed to raise a Dipper so I made my way to the layby adjacent to the Dulnain River. Situated just west of Dulnain Bridge on the A938 it is an ideal venue for spotting Dippers and Grey Wagtails, and luckily both were present but of course on the other side of the river.

I sat on the stone wall and watched the Dipper preening, obviously having just completed a feeding foray. After a period of inactivity, the hunt for food continued, it spent lots of time with it's head under water, sometimes completely underwater and dashing to catch a caddis or stonefly larva. Then it emerged with a small fish which proved to be a trout, the bird then held the fish by the tail and beat it senseless against the stones. The dead fish was washed and then the bird attempted to swallow it whole, a fruitless attempt as the fish was plainly too large to go down. I then watched the bird spend the next five minutes battering its meal to a pulp on the same stones. Firstly the head came off, then the insides were greedily disposed off until finally the remaining torso disappeared. Absolutely fascinating to watch.

This small video I put on Flickr gives the flavour of the action - Dulnain Dipper

The light under the trees was poor so the pictures are not the best quality but I thought well worth capturing.


Nothing like a good scratch....
...and a stretch.
There's food here somewhere.



Got one!!!
Post prandial posing and calm reflection



 



View from the layby








No comments:

Post a Comment