Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

Oban to Insh


I broke the journey up to Scotland with an overnight stay near Carlisle but was keen to get going, so after an early breakfast I headed north for Oban. I wanted to see if there were any Tysties or Black Guillemots about as they frequent Oban harbour in good numbers. My trusty Satnav again did its favourite trick of taking me along highways and byways that I would never normally use. I could, of course, ignore her but some of the places I have visited have been "interesting". Today was no different, as when I reached Glasgow she diverted me along the Great Western Road, through exotic places like Anniesland and Clydebank. I haven't been to Clydebank since the sixties and it is pretty much as I remember. Enough said.

Soon I was making slow progress out to Crianlarich and finally Oban. What a disappointment, I remember years ago seeing a postcard from Oban and thinking what a delightful place. Today it is on a par with places like Blackpool, Margate and  Skegness where every other venue is a fish and chip shop. The only positive is that parking is free on Sundays.



Oban - not really picture post card material....

...but it does have a balanced view.

The birds? Well there were no Tysties but a rather good looking Hooded Crow posed for me, using the very smartly restored War Memorial as his lookout perch. I left, somewhat dejectedly, for Fort William, highlights on the way were several distant Razorbills, some flightless Eiders and at last a very distant Tystie in winter plumage.







The only Tystie that I saw

After Fort William I had my first treat of the day, high over Loch Laggan a late Osprey, unfortunately by the time I managed to get parked I was too far down the road to get another view. The sun was still making efforts to keep the gloom at bay and I took several shots of the Loch.

.


As I passed Ruthven Barracks I knew I wasn't far from my next stop - the RSPB reserve at Insh Marshes, I had planned that I would be here for the last knockings of the day, Hen Harrier being the target.








As I was making my way to the viewpoint a local birder expressed his opinion that my search would be fruitless - never mind I was here and determined to give it a go. On the steps up to the viewpoint were two Black Darter dragonflies, at this point I realised that I hadn't brought a macro lens so stood back and used the 300mm.




At the viewpoint I found the usual wildfowl and waders out on the marsh, several Roe Deer were grazing but it was pretty quiet. Nice to catch up with Tim and Emily who shared the rather voracious midges with me. Finally two very active corvids alerted me to the presence  of a hunting ringtail. Following it with the camera in the fading light was  difficult but we managed to see it make a catch and fly to the distant Drumlin where the meal was devoured. After some time it resumed the hunt but was harried by the corvids yet again and finally disappeared down the marsh. A Peregrine chasing a Snipe gave another brief moment of excitement. Gordon Hamlett's book recommends staying until dark but the need to reach my final destination in Grantown and the attention of those pesky midges meant that I left early.



At least I saw one - better shots next time.













 












 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment