Pages

Thursday 4 June 2015

Swallowtails

Today's "mission" was to add a 49th species to my butterfly list, internet information revealed that Swallowtails were on the wing at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen in Norfolk. So, I departed for the deepest east  just before 0500. Travelling at that time of day is a delight as there was virtually no traffic until the other side of the Dartford Crossing. I was rather surprised that I was parked in the reserve car park, just the other side of Brundall by 0830, which by anyone's standard was a tad early for a butterfly hunt. So I donned my boots and set off for an exploratory walk of the Meadow Trail.

I arrived back at the visitor centre about an hour later and staff and volunteers were about. Immediately, a most helpful shout of "Swallowtail" went up and the day's photography began. The excitement of a life tick and the panic to get a record shot soon calmed down and I realised the specimen was "flawed" - its right tail was missing, No matter, almost immediately a pristine, newly emerged specimen was nectaring right in front of me. Some clouds obscured the sun and the butterflies seemed to melt away, probably roosting up in the hawthorns - waiting for the sun to get stronger.









 

I decided it was time for another exploratory walk so set off down Tinkers Lane for the Doctor's Garden, a famous venue for photographing Swallowtails. A repeat here, as the sun disappeared so did the two butterflies that were present. A short trip to the boardwalk gave no result so it was back to the visitor centre for lunch. With the sun getting stronger and the wind dropping it wasn't long before the butterflies returned to the specially provided nectar source. By the time I finished there were at least four Swallowtails present and I had managed to capture a mating pair.

A butterfly twitch?


Love or War?
Love!


A big thank you to the staff and volunteers of RSPB Strumpshaw, they really do go out of their way to make you welcome on what is a gem of a reserve, knocks spots off our local efforts. I was so intent on capturing Swallowtails  that I totally ignored the other wildlife, though it would have been hard to miss the flybys of a very low Marsh Harrier. Only a few Brown Hawkers and Damselflies were on the wing so it might be a return visit for a Norfolk Hawker.

1 comment:

  1. Some brilliant photos Dave and sounds like a great place to go, although hopefully we will get Norfolks in Kent this year. One seen today !

    ReplyDelete