Pages

Friday 10 July 2015

Mountain Ringlet

My 400th Posting!!

When we arrived at the Honister Slate Mine I was somewhat disconcerted,  to reach the Fleetwith area meant a plod up the long winding road to the workings.


All the way up?

Well we took it steady and I kept telling myself that real rewards don't come easy. I don't know how many times I asked Martin if we had reached the top but I do know that when I saw two people, out in the grassy slopes and assuming that classic pose of a butterfly hunter - peering at the ground through a camera lens, all weariness left me and I almost bounded into the fray.

Immediately we had our first specimen, then another and another. Unfortunately the strong breeze was driving the butterflies downhill - probably back to the car park. If they crash landed close by they were invariably buried in the grassy tussocks. However, the two friendly butterfly enthusiasts showed us how to obtain clear pictures - simples when you know how.




The normal view - deep in grass.


 Most of our sightings came from the grassy areas  in the foreground of these shots, part of the area marked Fleetwith on the OS map.







Honister Pass

On the way down - slightly easier going.

I had never visited this part of the Lake District before but now I realise why so many people come here - the views are exceptional.

Well that was it - the tour was over - we targeted three butterfly ticks and got four. The tally now stands at 57 and all I need to do is head north again for a Scotch Argus

No comments:

Post a Comment