Pages

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Emerald Damsel and Black-tailed Skimmer

With all 58 UK mainland butterflies in the bag and reasonable photographic evidence to back it up I began to wonder what I should do next. Just going out into the natural world is not enough for me, as I have said before, I have a latent trainspotting gene, there has to be a list .
 
 
 
So I decided to wipe my records of dragonflies, well they were a bit untidy and not meticulously kept. In one fell swoop and a click of the mouse, my life list returned to zero  and I had a new aim, to see the British List of dragonflies. The list itself is a bit vague, containing species that have been seen only once in the UK and others whose migration to these shores is erratic, in fact totally random. I have a feeling that this may take some time!
 
So Tuesday found me out on Coates Common or Lords Piece as it is otherwise known, the pool just in from the car park has a healthy population of dragons and damsels. First life tick was an Emerald Damselfly, not easily seen but a nice specimen to kick off the new list. Next, an obliging male Broad-bodied Chaser followed by a Black-tailed Skimmer, I felt that I was on a roll.  Common and Ruddy Darters became numbers 4 and 5.



 




 
 
 
The sun was getting stronger and those unpleasant inhabitants of heathland pools the Clegs had appeared, unfortunately I get a pretty strong reaction to their bite so it was sleeves rolled down and a reduction in exposed flesh.
 

 
I think this is a Cleg Fly....
 
 
... whatever it is, there will soon be more of them.
Lords Piece is a picture at the moment - the heather putting on a real show.
 

 
 
 



 

 
 
On the way out this caught my eye - not a usual species at this location.
 
 
 
Just because they are all photographed it doesn't mean they can be ignored. These shots from Pulborough Brooks on Monday, I thought I had the Small Copper perfectly framed, subsequent viewing at home revealed that I hadn't taken enough care with some intrusive blades of grass, I'll just have to do it all over again.
 


 
 
First Clouded Yellow is the 48th species this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment